About EB-5 Visa

The EB-5 visa for Immigrant Investors is a United States visa created by the Immigration Act of 1990. This visa provides a method of obtaining a green card for foreign nationals who invest money in the United States. To obtain the visa, individuals must invest at least $500,000, creating at least 10 jobs.

By investing in certain qualified investments or regional centers with high unemployment rates, the required investment amount is $500,000. The Immigrant Investor Pilot Program is in accordance to a Congressional mandate aimed at stimulating economic activity and job growth, while allowing eligible aliens the opportunity to become lawful permanent residents. This “Pilot Program” required only $500,000 of investment in exchange for permanent resident status. The investment could only be received by an economic unit defined as a Regional Center.

Regional Center defined by any economic unit public or private, engaged in the promotion of economic growth, improved regional productivity, job creation and increased domestic capital investment. The individual receiving the visa is not required to actively manage the business invested in. For investors who wish to invest in a new or existing business, have an active role in the management of the operation (although simply being a Limited partner in the organization that owns the business qualifies, and have at least one million US dollars to invest ($500,000 if the business is located in certain areas deemed as Rural or with very high unemployment), then the traditional EB-5 visa is the best option.

The EB-5 regional center pilot program which is due to end in 2016, provides the applicant, their spouse and unmarried children under 21 with permanent residence in the USA in return for an investment of $500,000 in a USCIS approved regional center program.

Benefits of the EB5 program

  • Legal permanent residents admitted through the EB-5 Investor Program can enjoy many of the benefits of United States born residents.
  • Permanent residency requires no renewal or re-application (other than the removal of conditions at I-829 stage). Other U.S. Non-immigrant visas, such as E-2 and H1B, often never result in permanent residency, have time limits and require additional filing with USCIS, the Department of State and can require travel to the US consulate in your home country every few years.